Saturday, May 2, 2009

An interview with Brian M. Viveros...


"Godless Mess" - 30x38"

An interview with Brian M. Viveros

"The erotic artwork of Brian M. Viveros is a satisfying cross between the Varga Girls and the surrealist renderings of Hans Bellmer. At once playful, hypersexual and erotic, there is also something darkly engaging in Viveros’s images. While he’ll play up the demon aspects of the Femme Fatale, or the depravity lurking just beneath the surface of the innocent girl, he does so with a sense of awe – as if honoring what’s ‘dangerous’ in the erotic female form, not fearing it or degrading it." - Marilyn Jaye Lewis, editor The Mammoth Book of Erotic Photography

"Godless Mess" close up

Portrait of the artist

Please talk a lil' bit about the general idea/vibe behind your new series of works for "Southern” at Last Rites Gallery out in NYC.
Keeping the vibe STRONG and DIRTY homie, just the way we like it. Worked on a new special 'Dirtyland' piece for the show and she will be representing my Southern Arm-me of smokin' troops who will be marching there way into Last Rites Gallery in NYC on May the 9th.

"Viva Rose" receiving the finishing touches...

"Faithless" getting ready for battle...

Are you reading anything right now?
I just started reading "The Story of the Eye" by Georges Bataille.

"Protect Yourself" close up...

Favorite artist (living or dead) and what makes them special to you?
My favorite Artists are H.R. Giger, Picasso, Schiele, Beardsley, Warhol, and Frazetta. An inspiration to me every time I see there work. They are the magic six. My favorite directors are Maya Daren, Fernando Arrabal, Werner Herzog, Alejandro Jorodowsky. These filmmakers inspire me to work harder.

"Hang Over" - 16x20"

Do you listen to music while painting/drawing? If so, do you have a current favorite that inspires?
Yes, and play films. When I work I usually have both going on at the same time. The list of music is all over the place, I dig it all from strange sounds to noise and just beats. But lately, I guess my go to right now is Godspeed You Black Emperor.

"Southern" - collaboration with Matthew Bone - 24x30"

You collaborated with Matthew Bone, whom you are sharing the exhibit with at Last Rites, on a special piece I hear. How did that come about?
We were smoking outside and shootin' the shit and we just thought it would be a cool and fun idea to collaborate on something special for the people of NYC and the exhibition. I've always been a fan of Matt's work, so for me this was quite an honor. The piece is self titled "Southern" and it was a lot of fun. There will be a Limited Edition Signed and numbered Giclee print of this collaboration available at the exhibition just to give everybody the heads up.

"Evil Eye" - 14x26"

We are very much looking forward to hosting your debut Los Angeles solo show next fall. What have you got coming up in the meantime in terms of shows after "Southern”?
After the "Southern" exhibition I'm taking a break with my little devil and then back into the studio where I'll start preparing the new arm-me for my show at Copro Gallery in January.

"Southern" DVD (regular edition)

"Southern" overview:
Blanketed by a fog of troubling eroticism and violence, "Southern" is an experience of primordial sights, sounds, and sentiment. Brian Viveros and Eriijk Ressler release the fragmented visions that haunt deep within our collective psyche. "Southern" has taken the "Dislandic aesthetic" from poetic desolation to a symphonic saturation of the senses. Multiple viewings lead to new insights not only of story but also of the self. Through "Southern", Eriijk and Brian return cinema to the unclean.

The show’s title is “Southern”, named after your recent short film of the same name. Do you hope this connection inspires your fans to check out your other creative side – film?
I hope so, I mean it's definitely a part of me and it's something I'm very passionate about and will continue to do 'till the day I die. Sometimes painting just isn't enough, there are always ideas and dreams ya' know that need to get out of this f*cked up head of mine and this is just another way of expressing my Art through making surreal films.

The show will also feature a special screening of "Southern".The film is just magically dark. Many props Brian. How would you go about describing / setting this film up for someone who is about to view it / curious about it?
Two hits of acid and call me in the morning - kidding - hahaha or maybe not. Umm, "Southern" is really an experience of primordial sights, sounds, and sentiment with visions that haunt deep within our collective psyche. Trip out!

What are you doing right after this interview?
Smoking two cigarettes and having a beer. Here's to all the readers brutha' - cheers!

The 'Southern' DVD will be available at Last Rites Gallery along with an exclusive Limited Edition Giclee print of "DirtyLand IV" and his collaboration with Matthew Bone, "Southern".

Be sure to check out our studio visit with Viveros here.

Look for a very limited edition, hand-touched giclee of "Mess With The Bull" to be issued soon through us (more details announced soon).

Keep tabs on Viveros here and check out Bone's work here.

'Southern'
Brian M. Viveros + Matthew Bone
Last Rites Gallery
511 W. 33rd St, New York City

No comments: